Deaf feel burned by tenant discrimination: Advocates

Inky

Re: Deaf feel burned by tenant discrimination: Advocates

#41 Unread post by Inky » September 11th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Skitter wrote:not one tenant has been able to explain HOW small landlords can meet the OHRC's financial "duty to accomodate"

That is sad, because it could have been a useful discussion.
They aren't interested in debate or discussion. They don't want to hear any other opinions but their own. On a debate board, they'd be chewed up and spit out very quickly.

Marc

#42 Unread post by Marc » September 11th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Inky wrote: They aren't interested in debate or discussion.
You just described the government and the Landlord and Tenant Board to a tee.

rcole23

#43 Unread post by rcole23 » September 17th, 2011, 1:47 am

Pay for your own things YOU need due to YOUR disability, and I welcome you. No issue at all with that.

Do commercial properties need to cater to you? Do hotels?

Does anything else have to cater to you BY LAW?

These laws are the cause of your discrimination, not the land lords.

10,000 dollars in rent barley covering the mortgage does not justify 2000 dollars in devices that only you need and are useless after you leave.

Your problems are not my problems, I simply supply a service. Somehow I am expected to change my entire business for your needs. Well I need money to do this, will you supply my needs?

Better yet, give me government grants and exception from the landlord / tenancy agreement due to servicing special needs. I would gladly construct brand new properties just for this market.

Give me something.... Not just a bill (see below.... )
The purpose of Law is to limit and contain harm-to-others, provide freedom and establish right and wrong.

Tenant law established the legal right to be irresponsible, damage property without consequence, lie, steal, misrepresent & spend tax payer’s dollars, free legal counsel, a biased trial system and to be lazy.

What’s left for us landlords? A broken law and.... oh yea, the bill...

rcole23

#44 Unread post by rcole23 » September 17th, 2011, 1:52 am

Robinrta wrote:
c0ntra wrote: Landlords all over the province, especially in the larger cities, are starting to learn that you can't take chances in this business anymore, and the safest way to reject someone you don't want in your property is through silence. Image
This landlord strategy will be dealt with in the next amendment of the Residential Tenancy Act. All landlords will be required by law to provide every tenant applicant a written explanation of why they were refused. If a tenant believes the reason is against code grounds, this will be evidence enough to file a complaint where landlords will need to explain themselves in front of a judge!

Here is a preliminary letter you would be receiving.

REJECTED.

The reasons for this rejection are private and I am choosing to enforce my right to privacy laws. Discrimination will not be tolerated. I demand my rights by law to be fulfilled.

There will be no communications beyond this letter.

Have a nice day.
The purpose of Law is to limit and contain harm-to-others, provide freedom and establish right and wrong.

Tenant law established the legal right to be irresponsible, damage property without consequence, lie, steal, misrepresent & spend tax payer’s dollars, free legal counsel, a biased trial system and to be lazy.

What’s left for us landlords? A broken law and.... oh yea, the bill...