Deaf feel burned by tenant discrimination: Advocates

BigFoot

Re: Deaf feel burned by tenant discrimination: Advocates

#29 Unread post by BigFoot » September 8th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Ask any person who has emigrated from a communist/formerly communist country what they think about communism.
Only armchairs communists like it.

Roy

#30 Unread post by Roy » September 8th, 2011, 11:20 pm

BigFoot wrote:Ask any person who has emigrated from a communist/formerly communist country what they think about communism.
Only armchairs communists like it.
True communism has never been attempted anywhere in the world.

Skitter

#31 Unread post by Skitter » September 9th, 2011, 8:42 am

[quote="Robinrta"]All your trickle down economic theories have been debunked. I'm looking through some newspapers right now and see lots of rental properties. The problem is landlords discriminate.

You are correct...........there ARE lots of properties for rent.........despite the claims of tenant "advocates": lots of apt to choose from.

As I explained to you small landlord can not afford to meet the Ontario human rights commission's "duty to accomodate". The OHRC's policy is unreasonable. the result is small landlords may shy away from such experiences.............we simply cant afford it.

If housing is a "right", the cost must be shared by society, NOT one small landlord.

-the image you posted is inaccurate and unfair..............I am happy to say I have never seen such a sign in Canada let alone ontario.

The ontario residential tenancies act and the behaviour of many adjudicators at the LTB have created a situation where landlords who take chances on tenants are punished................the result is its now better to leave an apt empty than accept a risky tenant.

Make the OHRC housing policy and RTA fair and balanced and you will see many more landlords willing to rent to risky tenants and tenants with special needs.

Attacking landlords wont change this reality.

JunkBonds

#32 Unread post by JunkBonds » September 9th, 2011, 9:54 am

Skitter, I agree 100%

The only way to solve this problem is with common sense and understanding motivations.

Dictating rules that go against motivation NEVER work. We need to work together.

There is no way in hell I am going to continue to work as hard as I do and invest as much money as I do to be taken to the cleaners by any tenant, OHRC, RTA, etc

If these suggested changes come about then housing costs will increase and affordability will decline. The way to avoid that is for society as a whole to accept the cost as an advanced society.