OLA in the News: Do Renters Need Insurance?

zerg

Re: OLA in the News: Do Renters Need Insurance?

#33 Unread post by zerg » August 19th, 2011, 11:11 am

Saynotoslumlords wrote: Ignore ol' zergie. He's the least informed person here.
You live with mommy and are probably covered by her insurance.

Tag: the possibility that it's the landlord fault in some possible scenario is not cause to neglect insurance. If for nothing at least get it for your own liability.

It's amazing how foolish some people are and it's difficult to tell if they are trolling or legitimately misinformed.

Openborders

#34 Unread post by Openborders » August 19th, 2011, 1:34 pm

tag-photos wrote:
Skitter wrote:Reality is tenants don't need contents insurance to be compensated in case of fires and other events. Under the Residential Tenancies Act, if the fire isn't the renter's fault, the landlord will be responsible for providing compensation for lost contents.

this is a myth that was stated by a prominent tenant activist.

What if the fire is the fault of the LL due to negligence or carelessness though?

I am not sure but I think in those cases the tenant can get reimbursed from the LL, if nothing else they can go after the LL through a civil lawsuit for their damages and losses.
You are on the right track. These landlords are either trolling by giving tenants bad information or legitimately ignorant because they aren't tenants.

tag-photos

#35 Unread post by tag-photos » August 19th, 2011, 1:34 pm

zerg wrote:Tag: the possibility that it's the landlord fault in some possible scenario is not cause to neglect insurance. If for nothing at least get it for your own liability.

You are absolutely right.

There are, however, two separate issues. All I was referring to was that under certain circumstances it is possible to have your possessions covered by the LL. The only circumstances I can think if though are through LL negligence or carelessness.

There is of course a whole slew of reasons a tenant should have contents insurance. Liability coverage is only one reason of many.

Openborders

#36 Unread post by Openborders » August 19th, 2011, 1:41 pm

There is only one reason why a tenant might want to get contents insurance. If they are intimidated by their landlord and don't want to face them in court proving their responsibility. I think that's the goal of landlords here (on this thread and on all the others.) Tenants -- if you don't assert your rights, you have none.