OLA in the News: Do Renters Need Insurance?

Skitter

Re: OLA in the News: Do Renters Need Insurance?

#29 Unread post by Skitter » August 18th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Reality is tenants don't need contents insurance to be compensated in case of fires and other events. Under the Residential Tenancies Act, if the fire isn't the renter's fault, the landlord will be responsible for providing compensation for lost contents.

this is a myth that was stated by a prominent tenant activist.

If the fire is NOT the landlord`s fault, the landlord`s insurance is NOT going to cover the tenant`s belongings.

But the bigger issue is NOT the tenant`s contents as many tenants claim their contents are not valuable anyway.

The GREATER issue is the tenant`s liablilty. This has been clearly explained many times by landlords and NOW also by the Star.

Tenants do cause fires, floods, their dogs DO bite people, tenants do cause unsafe conditions (ie hoarding, just ask the residents of 200 wellesley).

LIABILITY is the key reason tenants need insurance................àctivsts`keep omitting that key point.

I suspect that soon the landlord`s insurance company will be demanding PROOF of the tenants up to date insurance!

You cant rent a $1000 car without insurance, why can tenants rent a $100,000 plus apt without insurance??

Openborders

#30 Unread post by Openborders » August 18th, 2011, 9:41 pm

If you think I'm going to be intimidated by a gang up here, you are mistaken.

tag-photos

#31 Unread post by tag-photos » August 18th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Skitter wrote:Reality is tenants don't need contents insurance to be compensated in case of fires and other events. Under the Residential Tenancies Act, if the fire isn't the renter's fault, the landlord will be responsible for providing compensation for lost contents.

this is a myth that was stated by a prominent tenant activist.

What if the fire is the fault of the LL due to negligence or carelessness though?

I am not sure but I think in those cases the tenant can get reimbursed from the LL, if nothing else they can go after the LL through a civil lawsuit for their damages and losses.

furtado_4real

#32 Unread post by furtado_4real » August 19th, 2011, 9:08 am

Openborders wrote:If you think I'm going to be intimidated by a gang up here, you are mistaken.
No one here cares if you are or not. You are slow aren't you? What we want is for people who come to this forum to see facts, not your BS that you spew.