OLA in the Toronto Star: Is it better to rent with utilities

Greg

Re: OLA in the Toronto Star: Is it better to rent with utili

#9 Unread post by Greg » February 2nd, 2011, 7:45 pm

It's just like Buddy Hackett's mother stated at dinner time "You have two choices, take it or leave it" :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

That's my approach.
If you can't afford my rent look at apartments you can afford and stop wasting my time.
And don't bother asking to include utilities. That's like buying a car and asking the dealer to include a bottomless tank of gas.

Negotiating rent, to me, is as ridiculous as standing at the check out line of the grocery store and trying to negotiate the price of bread.

dazedandabused

#10 Unread post by dazedandabused » February 2nd, 2011, 7:51 pm

Greg wrote: Negotiating rent, to me, is as ridiculous as standing at the check out line of the grocery store and trying to negotiate the price of bread.

When I got started 10 years ago, I can't recall ever being asked or negotiated on price, the odd person would ask if they could paint a room. Now it's almost every person asking for a discount, I find it annoying as hell.

PS-Greg, I have seen people fighting over the price of food in the grocery line in Mississauga, sadly more than once.

Dazed

LandlordD

#11 Unread post by LandlordD » February 2nd, 2011, 8:04 pm

Lots of landlords tell tenants the price is (a) inclusive or (b) lower rent + you pay utilities. Hardly negotiation as Greg seems to see it! It's not, you use one burner on the stove and the oven only on Tuesdays and you get a $7.67 reduction.
Dave

Skitter

#12 Unread post by Skitter » February 2nd, 2011, 9:18 pm

I dont negotiate my rents..............they are slightly below market to begin with.

I have had a few prospective tenants ask if i would lower the rent, but i tell them no and they understand why.

I have also had a couple of tenants offer me MORE rent if i will give teh apt to them and not someone else. But I tell them "no" as well.

the price is fixed and once i have agreed to lease it to one tenant, i dont go back and ask for more money if i get offered a higher rent.

But i wont even consider buying a rental property that doesnt at least have the hydro seperately metered so it can be put in the tenant's name.