OLA in the Toronto Star: Is it better to rent with utilities

Hawk

Re: OLA in the Toronto Star: Is it better to rent with utili

#5 Unread post by Hawk » February 2nd, 2011, 6:27 pm

I believe he means landlords have too many vacancies or being too flexible and negotiating with renters. I've negotiated before. On price. If it's a good fit.

I think the real issue here is the great news that small business landlords are AT LAST getting into the media...and not just a "we had tenants from hell and lost everything" kind of stuff.

Skitter

#6 Unread post by Skitter » February 2nd, 2011, 6:50 pm

This year, the rent increase has been set at less than 1 per cent, and although landlords can apply for a rent increase over and above that amount .

-actually that is NOT entirely true. Mcguinty has squashed for this year the ability for a landlord to apply for an above the guideline increase if it is based on higher utility costs.

Greg

#7 Unread post by Greg » February 2nd, 2011, 7:04 pm

Ganou wrote:
Greg wrote:I can't believe tenants actually believe they can negotiate rental rates. But then again I have never owned property in Toronto where desperation seem to be the norm on the part of LLs.
Desperation by landlords??

Greg please elaborate.

I have seen a TV show recently situated in T.O. called "For Rent" where this woman finds rental apartments for clients and usually advises they negotiate the price of the rental. I assume the LL must be desperate to rent if they reduce the rental price on the apartment. In addition they also get permission from the LL to paint and modify the apartment so the entire show may simply be a fantasy reality show.

Either that or it is common place in TO for tenants to negotiate and the LLs are starting out by setting the rate high expecting to negotiate.

In my area the advertised rental rate is what tenants pay or they look elsewhere. If a applicant asked me to lower the rent I would have no other response than NO so do not understand the idea of tenants negotiating rents. Not a concept I am familiar with.

Hardliner

#8 Unread post by Hardliner » February 2nd, 2011, 7:13 pm

Greg wrote:
Ganou wrote:
Greg wrote:I can't believe tenants actually believe they can negotiate rental rates. But then again I have never owned property in Toronto where desperation seem to be the norm on the part of LLs.
Desperation by landlords??

Greg please elaborate.

I have seen a TV show recently situated in T.O. called "For Rent" where this woman finds rental apartments for clients and usually advises they negotiate the price of the rental. I assume the LL must be desperate to rent if they reduce the rental price on the apartment. In addition they also get permission from the LL to paint and modify the apartment so the entire show may simply be a fantasy reality show.

Either that or it is common place in TO for tenants to negotiate and the LLs are starting out by setting the rate high expecting to negotiate.

In my area the advertised rental rate is what tenants pay or they look elsewhere. If a applicant asked me to lower the rent I would have no other response than NO so do not understand the idea of tenants negotiating rents. Not a concept I am familiar with.
It's just like Buddy Hacketts mother stated at dinner time "You have two chioces, take it or leave it" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hardliner, P.A.M. (Professional Activist Marginalizer)
Tenant Defence Fund cut of $75,000.00 is too small