BREAKING: YOU CAN'T BE EVICTED FOR PAYING MAY 1 RENT!!! (OR JUNE 1 RENT)

A serious and sophisticated place to discuss politics, off topic issues, and landlord/tenant issues and news in depth. All viewpoints welcome. Forum is moderated.
RileyMcCormack

Re: BREAKING: YOU CAN'T BE EVICTED FOR PAYING MAY 1 RENT!!!

#16 Unread post by RileyMcCormack » April 6th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Governments are helping individuals and businesses during this contagion, but this restriction on ending a tenancy imposes risk - and highly likely a financial loss - to landlords, which does not seem right. It's analogous to requiring businesses pay their employees even if there is no revenue.

Nobody wants to see an eviction in this time of trouble, and keeping tenants in their homes during these circumstances is a noble social endeavour. However why does that become the landlord's responsibility? This seems like the role of government, and I think government should pay their rent. This would be analagous to the current program offering to pay businesses 75% of their employees' wages in order to keep them working.

I expect the state of emergency to be cleared only with a great deal of caution and conservatism. i.e. this will be several months at least. If a tenant hasn't paid rent for 3 months, and maybe starts work again, how are they going to be able to pay the accrued rent at the end of the state of emergency? I expect tenants will walk, and good luck to the landlord in trying to collect.

I am a new member and wonder if there is a centralized email list where this message can be sent to all landlords? In the meantime, I urge you to contact your MLA and explain the inequitable treatment of landlords; I am not aware of any other people/groups for whom the impact of government Covid-19 support action ADDS TO THEIR BURDEN.

After all, what is the purpose of this income support? Food and shelter have to be the top priorities - even above health. If a tenant doesn't pay the rent, the provincial government should pay it.

KeepingUrRent

Re: BREAKING: YOU CAN'T BE EVICTED FOR PAYING MAY 1 RENT!!!

#17 Unread post by KeepingUrRent » April 7th, 2020, 1:06 pm

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

# by »

# by »

# by »