OLA Member in the Toronto Star "I'm out more than $28,000!"

OLA

OLA Member in the Toronto Star "I'm out more than $28,000!"

#1 Unread post by OLA » October 12th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Credit checks critical in vetting tenants

Landlord says she was too trusting and ended up with a bad tenant

Oct 8, 2011
Page CL.6

"The person I spoke to said she made $62,000 a year," says [Stoymenoff], who acknowledges she should have done a credit check.

"My questions always have been, 'Do they have a secure job and what is their income?' She came through with flying colours and both her references said she was a very trustworthy, good person."

Stoymenoff also didn't realize until the tenant was evicted that she had been renting out rooms in the house to other people and the property had fallen into disrepair.

She gouged out the doors and frames to install hinge locks with padlocks in the dining room and all three bedrooms.

Finally, in March the tenant was ordered by the Landlord Tenant Board to pay $3,400 and to start paying monthly rent.

She paid the $3,400 and one month's rent of $1,750. In June, an order was issued to pay the full amount and Stoymenoff received $5,000.

[Shirley] was finally evicted in August, nine months after the first application was filed, owing $13,820 in unpaid rent and more than $3,000 in unpaid utility bills. Add on legal fees and the repairs required for the house and she is out more than $28,000.

"The registrar told me 'we know her' and the sheriff's office knew her, too. The police have also told me they're investigating her for fraud," Stoymenoff says.

J and R

Re: OLA Member in the Toronto Star "I'm out more than $28,00

#2 Unread post by J and R » October 12th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Can anybody who is a LL on this site read this and actually be SHOCKED?? The system is fair and balanced.......Minister Bartolucci's own words.

If you believe it is fair and balanced then I have Swampland in Florida for sale... Way to go Liberals. :?

J and R
We need change, but to create change we need to all work together and not against each other!!

Greg

#3 Unread post by Greg » October 12th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Not surprised however this news report is extremely sketchy, no real details to explain the time lapses and by all indications the landlord was not at all aware of what was happening at her property. I would guess that she was slow to issue paper work and probably gave the tenant numerous free rides. In addition she likely was not represented at board hearings.

This is a very common story regarding inexperienced landlords. They give tenants the benefit of the doubt too often and do not process the LTB paper work as diligently as they should.
Based on the story it appeared to be a very simple eviction which likely took as long as it did due more to landlord inexperience than board favoritism toward the tenant. I say this because the landlord never bothered to inspect her property the entire time she had the tenant.

However the story is very much lacking in details.

Jeff

#4 Unread post by Jeff » October 12th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Greg wrote:Not surprised however this news report is extremely sketchy, no real details to explain the time lapses and by all indications the landlord was not at all aware of what was happening at her property. I would guess that she was slow to issue paper work and probably gave the tenant numerous free rides. In addition she likely was not represented at board hearings.

This is a very common story regarding inexperienced landlords. They give tenants the benefit of the doubt too often and do not process the LTB paper work as diligently as they should.
Based on the story it appeared to be a very simple eviction which likely took as long as it did due more to landlord inexperience than board favoritism toward the tenant. I say this because the landlord never bothered to inspect her property the entire time she had the tenant.

However the story is very much lacking in details.
I agree 100% This is a pure fantasy/fabrication. The landlord is some rookie who must have served the wrong documents, waffled and struck out at the LTB representing themselves with the jitters forcing them to run to the bathroom every few minutes. Any landlord with any experience at all would have avoided this hocus pocus of a story.