OLA in "L'EXPRESS" (Semaine du 15 mars au 21 mars 2011)

ColdFire

Re: OLA in "L'EXPRESS" (Semaine du 15 mars au 21 mars 2011)

#21 Unread post by ColdFire » March 31st, 2011, 3:07 pm

I've read some topics on this forum that deal directly with the problems that the OHRC introduces to the industry, and some experienced landlords have provided some useful tips that I think could help you. One that comes to mind is How to Reject A Tenant.

About the scenario that you presented here about a tenant who skips out on you but leaves an unpaying boyfriend... YES! We would purchase a court order in that case. In fact, this is exactly the type of unpredictable cost that our entire business model is geared to help against, and we would be happy to help! In that case, you would have clearly made every effort that you could reasonably do to prevent a breakdown in the Lease Agreement.
BuyMyRent
Toll Free: 1 (866) 698-8786
www.buymyrent.ca

Parker

#22 Unread post by Parker » March 31st, 2011, 3:29 pm

what about landlord fraud?

Skitter

#23 Unread post by Skitter » March 31st, 2011, 3:51 pm

About the scenario that you presented here about a tenant who skips out on you but leaves an unpaying boyfriend... YES! We would purchase a court order in that case. In fact, this is exactly the type of unpredictable cost that our entire business model is geared to help against, and we would be happy to help! In that case, you would have clearly made every effort that you could reasonably do to prevent a breakdown in the Lease Agreement.[/quote]

-that is good to know................i do see some value in your product in this situation. Unfortunately there are many deadbeat tenants who will lie cheat and steal from landlords................often they are not even the tenants that we initially allow to move in.................but rather the unauthorized "tenants" that quietly sneak in the back door. No amount of screening can protect us from this type of tenant.

Skitter

#24 Unread post by Skitter » March 31st, 2011, 4:03 pm

I've read some topics on this forum that deal directly with the problems that the OHRC introduces to the industry, and some experienced landlords have provided some useful tips that I think could help you. One that comes to mind is How to Reject A Tenant.

-yes..............i read that thread (some of those posts are mine)

How to reject a tenant is not the issue.

The issue is, in order to comply with you policy requirements, (which any reasonable person would find acceptable), i have to violate the OHRC, ie the rent to income 30% threshold.

If i accept a tenant who is paying more than 30% rent to income ratio, I violate your business policy. BUT, if I reject a tenant soley because their rent/income ration exceeds 30%, i violate the OHRC housing policy.

I like your business idea. I admit i have often wondered how to turn this nightmarish farce and victimization of ontario landlords into a business opportunity (instead of trying to actually fix it).

Providing insurance against the multitude of deadbeat tenants and grossly unfair legisaltion and biased LTB would seem to be a service every ontario landlord would need. The problem is irony is in order to meet tenant screening standards, i have to violate the very policy (OHRC) that is causing me to consider insurance in the first place.