Cockroach infestation (Kitchener detached home)

We welcome your opinions and debate. Join our huge landlord community where we help each other for success! For serious/complicated questions please post in our protected Professional & Expert Forums. For all legal questions contact a licensed legal rep. Forum is moderated.
eskabob

Cockroach infestation (Kitchener detached home)

#1 Unread post by eskabob » September 8th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a detached home in Kitchener which was free of cockroaches when I bought it a few years back. I spent a few months in the unit for repairs and renovations.

After renting to a family for a couple of years, they notified me of a cockroach issue last year. I arranged for pest control to go in a few times. The pest control company said it was one of the worst infestations they've seen and that the family kept the house in a very unclean fashion, also with food out everywhere. We provided them with cleanliness tips and follow up appointments with the pest control company. I never heard of the issue again.

Fast forward to today, the tenants wanted to move out so I found new tenants to come in. However, on move out inspection, the cockroach infestation was clearly evident and I have tenants coming in a few days. I've already had pest control come in to fumigate the place again and then come back in two weeks (waiting period required). There was quite a graveyard of them afterwards when I cleaned up the dead bodies. I've notified the new tenants of this issue (group of students). Some are okay with the process and some haven't responded. I have also bought containers for them to store their food.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What would you recommend for next steps? Should I allow the tenants to move in if they are okay with it? Would the old tenants have any responsibility for this?

WealthyLL

Re: Cockroach infestation (Kitchener detached home)

#2 Unread post by WealthyLL » September 8th, 2019, 4:27 pm

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

# by »

# by »