TO: Landlord and Tenant Board Stakeholders
FROM: Ian Speers, Associate Chair
Lindiwe Bridgewater, Acting Registrar
RE: Landlord and Tenant Board Updates
We are writing to provide you with an update on scheduling, and evening and weekend hearings at the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB).
Beginning January 2023, the LTB resumed scheduling initial hearings for all landlord and tenant applications, in addition to scheduling previously adjourned matters. We’d like to advise you of the following details:
- Urgent matters will continue to be scheduled on a priority basis. If you believe your matter warrants an earlier hearing date, you can file a Request to Extend/Shorten Time.
- As was done previously, L1s, and L2s and tenant merits, will be scheduled on alternating weeks (for example, week 1 will consist of L1 blocks, and week 2 will consist of L2 and tenant merit blocks).
- Merits hearings for Above Guideline Increase (AGI) applications continue to be scheduled. AGI Case Management Hearings will continue to be scheduled in the Spring.
- Motions, reviews, and co-operative housing hearings also continue to be part of the schedule as required, as well as weekly French/bilingual hearings.
- Online dispute resolution continues to be available for all applications filed in the Tribunals Ontario Portal. Routine mediation also continues to be available upon request for all application types.
At our stakeholder meeting in November, we asked for feedback on the evening and weekend hearing initiative. Thank you to everyone who provided submissions. We received a lot of valuable feedback, which we are in the process of reviewing as we continue our planning.
Our goal and priority is to provide timely and accessible dispute resolution services to the people of Ontario. We thank you for your continued patience as we work on shortening delays at the LTB.
Ian Speers Lindiwe Bridgewater
Associate Chair Acting Registrar