Ontario Landlords Association

Landlord Tips from the OLA!

Tenant Damages and Unpaid Rent

I had a tenant leave lots of damages and unpaid rent. I managed to reach them and they said they didn’t do any damages and the house was already like that. What can I do?

• If they are out of the unit, you will have to pursue them in Small Claims Court for the damages and unpaid rent. You will need to know where they moved in order to serve them
• In order to succeed, you will need to carefully quantify all of the damages, and obtain professional, written estimates for the required repairs.
• You will require some proof that the tenants lived there, such as your lease agreement
• You will need photos of the damages
• You will hopefully have some proof of the condition in which the unit was rented to them. A previous tenant? Classified ad? Kijiji ad? Photos work best.

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.