OLA Member in the Toronto Star-Exploitive rent for newcomers

Skitter

Re: OLA Member in the Star-Exploitive rent demands for newco

#9 Unread post by Skitter » January 30th, 2012, 10:26 pm

“We need stronger proactive enforcement (such as spot checks on landlords) and heavier punishment against those who engage in this kind of practice.”

Ironically the newcomers that applied for my rental probably would have WANTED to pay a few extra months in advance and could have enjoyed a great homel that they loved: instead they had to be rejected.....................nice work "activists".

You can spot check me all you want..............I wont accept any more rent than first and last, and I HAVE to reject newcomers who cant show a source of income.

YOU made ontario's broken rental rules, YOU can take responsibility for them................and YOU can find newcomers rental accomodation.

Sorry, you dont get to suck and blow at the same time.

Canuck

OLA Member in the Toronto Star! Exploitive rent demands?

#10 Unread post by Canuck » January 30th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Georgina landlord Stephen Peacock said non-paying tenants are a real concern for landlords, regardless of whether the renter is an immigrant or not.

“I have bad Canadian tenants and good immigrant tenants,” said Peacock, who has had his share of bad renters, with one Canadian father and son owing him $7,000 in rent and $3,000 on unpaid hydro bills.

“A landlord can have a tighter screening process, but you can’t ask for anything over and above the law.”[/b]

If landlords could easily evict non-paying “hell” tenants and ask for a damage deposit as a safeguard, he said, they would be more willing to take a chance on those with no credit history and employment references.

Ontario’s Residential Tenancies Act allows landlords to ask for first- and last-month rent deposits and requires them to make tenants aware of their rights by providing a government information sheet.
The only sensible comment in the Star!