Open Letter to Mr/Ms. Tenant - from a landlord

We have recruited Tenant Community Leaders across Canada to help provide a helpful & informative forum for verified tenants. This is a safe space for Tenants to seek help & communicate with one another in a mature & non-confrontational arena. Tenants contributors only. UPDATE: Due to requests this forum will be open to the general public so Tenants across Canada can read and learn their rights AND their responsibilities.
Toddcan

Open Letter to Mr/Ms. Tenant - from a landlord

#1 Unread post by Toddcan » August 14th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Dear Mr/Ms. Tenant,

I have purchased a rental property for several reasons. This open letter to you is to share information so that we can be a team. After all, you need me, and I need you.

1. I am not getting rich on this venture. In fact, for the first 12-18 months of me buying this property, I am going to lose money. Even then, this duplex/triplex that you are living in will net me approx $200-$300 per month after all expenses have been paid. Doing the math, I believe that works out to $2,400-$3,600 per year. At some point in time, I hope that this property gains value, and I can sell it for more that I bought it. It's a great concept that you could work towards in your lifetime - if you are so inclinded. Until then, you need a place to live, and I need a tenant.

2. Please take care of our property. It's your home, but it's my house. If I know that you will keep your home in decent condition, I will be much more motivated to ask you to help me pick out a colour next time I paint the walls, or replace the carpet.

3. I promise to respect you and your personal rights. I will give you all the notice I can before I have to enter your apartment. After all, this is your home, but it's my house. If I need to replace a toilet, or fix something, I will give you advanced notice. I hope the respect will be mutual. After all, it's the little things that count. If we can all get along, we will both enjoy working with each other. I am not here to mess with your life.

4. I was you once, perhaps you will be me one day. I know what it's like to rent. I know what it's like to be a tenant. It's actually a decent way to live. I never worried about the roof, the plumbing, needing a new stove, or fridge, or even if the carpet was getting worn down and needed replacing. I never worried if the city increased utilities, or taxes - I paid a flat rent, which can only increase by a very small amount each year. I let my landlord worry and take care of all of that.

You need me, and I need you. If neither one of us are jerks, this will work out just fine.

Sincerely,
Mr/Ms. Landlord.

Lee

Re: Open Letter to Mr/Ms. Tenant - from a landlord

#2 Unread post by Lee » August 14th, 2012, 4:13 pm

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

"There is only one taxpayer." Finance Minister Charles Sousa, June 21, 2013.

# by »