It is currently December 25th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Opossum invasion

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: March 15th, 2012, 8:21 pm   

The woman in the apartment under mine uses a side entrance to the house and leaves lots of garbage around.

I hear rodents going in there and eating the garbage and leftover food and the rodents make my dogs bark like crazy as soon as it gets dark.

I went out there with lights and identified the rodents as opossums. I don't know if these animals have rabies and am scared of the health of my family.

We called the landlord on Tuesday night and demanded the garbage be removed. Nothing has been done and I don't know where to turn.

Unread postPosted: March 15th, 2012, 8:34 pm   

Pick up the trash and take it to the bin.

Unread postPosted: March 15th, 2012, 8:37 pm   

It's not MY trash. It's not MY responsibility.

It could also be extremely DANGEROUS.

Unread postPosted: March 15th, 2012, 10:21 pm   

Very easy solution... take out the trash.

Unread postPosted: March 15th, 2012, 10:21 pm   

It's clear not only has your reasonable enjoyment been trampled upon, you are facing a unknown danger.

I just looked up opossums and they are known to attack animals and humans.

Document everything.

Unread postPosted: March 16th, 2012, 9:48 am   
You can wait for the landlord to take action, talk to your neighbour about your concerns, take out the garbage yourself or do nothing. What you do depends on how serious you consider the situation to be. If you do not feel the situation is serious enough for you to clean up the garbage yourself simply wait for the problem to fix itself. Good luck with that.

Unread postPosted: March 17th, 2012, 12:57 pm   

Hi Bothered,

Don't listen to Greg or jjcc (whatever its name is)...

You have a right to ask the landlord to take care of the trash issue for you. If they do not respond at all, you can file with the landlord and tenant board, and quite honestly after being through what I've just been through I would do just that. you must act immediately to teach the landlord how you expect to be treated.

if you were paying for the installation of a new furnace and the installation was going badly would you expect to be told that you could pick up a set of tools and go and fix it yourself? No. If you were at a restaurant paying good money for fine service and the waiter neglected to bring you a knife and fork after you'd asked for one, would you expect to be told that you should have brought your own cutlery? No. Essentially, that is what these lazy, good for nothing landlords on here are telling you to do.

landlords are providing a service for money. They don't like to think of it that way,,, they just like to think that they've conned someone into paying their mortgage and tax and maintenance payments for them for a while till they want to sell their buildings. That, my friend, is wrong.. and that attitude amounts to a scam.

So.. Yes, report this problem.. DO NOT pick up the trash, but do take photos and videos. Send emails to your landlord (avoid phone calls) and file with the board.

PS - My husband and I were landlords for many years. We would NEVER have ignored a tenant's problems. Never. We cannot believe how we were treated in the past six months as we have been renting for personal (non financial) reasons. This has made us very firm on tenants' rights and I will advocate action against bad landlords every single time. They are providing you with a service.. they are running a business.. they ought to act like it, as we did.

Unread postPosted: March 17th, 2012, 1:09 pm   
Bothered wrote:
It's not MY trash. It's not MY responsibility.

It could also be extremely DANGEROUS.

Not that at the end of the day it won't be the landlord holding the bag....but do you think it's less DANGEROUS for the landlord, is he some how better qualified?

Unread postPosted: March 17th, 2012, 7:33 pm   

Ken S wrote:
Not that at the end of the day it won't be the landlord holding the bag....but do you think it's less DANGEROUS for the landlord, is he some how better qualified?

Being a landlord is a business.

If the landlord is not willing to do the 'dirty work' they shouldn't expect profits and should do something else.

Unread postPosted: March 18th, 2012, 11:10 am   
Good advice coming from an ARM chair head coach :)

Now tell the Blue Jays how to win the world series.

Unread postPosted: April 11th, 2012, 1:10 pm   

I just go buy rat poison and put it all near the steps and mix a bit with honey near the trouble spots.

Unread postPosted: April 12th, 2012, 8:30 am   

Pictures should be taken. LL should be informed. LL should make the offending tenant keep the area clean of garbage. But all that might take time. If it is not cleaned up in one day, personally I'd clean it up...write a letter to LL stating you did so, but will not do it again. Next time it's LTB...and the LL conversely can take the offending tenant to the LCB over this as well.

There must be a LTA form for this....for both the tenant who is inconvenienced and the LL to give to the offending tenant????