"Don't Argue With Your Landlord, Take Your Landlord To the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) Where

Announcements and articles for tenants will be posted here along with helpful posts from the New Tenant Help Forum.
Calgaryhomeless

"Don't Argue With Your Landlord, Take Your Landlord To the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) Where

#1 Unread post by Calgaryhomeless » June 8th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Tenants Speak Out and Share Their Concerns and Opinions on the Rental Industry

As part of our "Let's Improve the Alberta Rental Industry" we have invited landlords and tenants to share their opinions on how we can make these improvements. These opinions are from individual contributors and are not the opinions of the Alberta Landlords Association. We believe by fostering communication between landlords and tenants we can improve the Alberta rental industry. Landlords and tenants can share your thoughts and opinions by emailing us at landlordtenantsolutions@groupmail.com

The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service Really Does Protect Tenants. Don't Fight Your Landlord Directly If You have Any Problems With Your Rental Home Take Your Landlord To the Residential Tenancy Dispute Service

This email is to help Alberta Tenants like myself know our rights which are often covered up in Alberta.

Anyone else have lots of arguments with their landlords these days? I bet a lot of you have!

In my case let's see some problems since I decided to pay her mortgage for her while she dreams the property will up in value next year and she will sell, lol!

There are probably good landlords around but I find the landlords here like to "bully" tenants so it's basically impossible to work things out, as they are unreasonable and often act like psychopaths. Not everyone, but in my case it was like dealing with the Tasmanian devil you see in the Bugs Bunny cartoons!

At the Residential Dispute Tenancy Dispute Service the Landlord Can't Bully You and Must Treat You With Respect

I had a big bully of a landlord who was so proud and looked down on me as a renter. We had problems and she treated me with no respect. She failed to realize that my hard earned rent money was paying her mortgage each month and I was someone who wouldn't put up with her treating me like anything but the A+++ tenant I am.

I took her to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service and she was polite and weak...and I won! No bullying, no bullsh*t and no threats.

Avoid Face To Face Interactions and Just Go To Landlord/Tenant Court (RTDRS)

I found landlords here like to try to intimidate tenants. So just avoid them and take all your concerns directing tot he RTDRS. This is a legal court and the landlords have to behave or they can be punished!

Tenants Make Sure You Use The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS)

I contacted the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) directly and asked them to provide some details to us.

The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) offers landlords and tenants an alternative means of resolving serious disputes outside of court.The RTDRS is designed to be faster, more informal and less expensive than the courts. The RTDRS can help tenants in four main ways:

Damages - This means the landlord will be ordered to pay the tenant for any financial losses because the landlord didn't follow their legal obligations.

Rent Abatement - If the landlord doesn't take their responsibilities laid out in both the lease and the Residential Tenancies Act they will be ordered to reduce the rent for the tenant.

Compensation - If the landlord doesn't do needed repairs to keep you safe and comfortable in your home you can apply to get money from the landlord.

Termination of the Tenancy - You file and will get to move out early

Let's look at some of the issues me and the landlord right out of Game of Thrones had.

1. The frickin shower is moldy and the landlord is responsible to fix it

I told my landlady aka "the landlord from Hell" about this and she said it was because of my long showers and not turning on the fan. My reply is: like hey, I turn on the fan and it just isn't strong enough because you went 'cheap' on buying the fan and it won't stop mold! And what I did doesn't even really matter because the landlord is responsible for repairing mold.

2. The people next door are noisy are smoking weed and it bothers me and the landlord is responsible to protect me and my enjoyment

I have the right to peaceful enjoyment to the property. So Ms. Moneybags tells me "her hands are tied and there's nothing she can do." Well you need to follow the lease and it's not my problem!

3. This rental isn't safe

If you don't feel safe you can make the landlord put in locks, security cameras and more. If they don't you can apply to the RTDRS to MAKE THE LANDORD MAKE YOUR HOME SAFE!

4. Maintenance issues galore

The drains are filled with hair or something and it's almost impossible to even have a normal bath! I'm paying for this property and paying for your mortgage and I need to be able to have a bath!

The fridge and washer and dryer are too old You expect me to pay for power when you give me these old crappy appliances? That's not right and if you aren't at least going to buy new appliances you legally need to keep the old ones in good shape.

5. Landlord won't pay back the deposit

This problem is so common. Tenants need to go to the tenant-friendly RTDRS to seek justice!

Alberta Tenants Need to Avoid Your Landlord And File At Court Where A Judge Will Stop Their Bulling and Intimidation

Don't argue with your landlord directly, always go over their head and have an official with legal power be an impartial judge. This way you don't ever need to feel intimidated.

(a) Demand the Return of Your Security Deposit

So many tenants struggling to survive face evil landlords who refuse to return their security deposits. Tenants can apply at the RTDRS and get you money back.

(b) Ending the Tenancy Due to the Landlord's Breach of the Rental Agreement

This can mean lots of things such as not maintaining the property or you have to put up with noise or eve the bathroom clogs. You are not handcuffed to a bad rental property just because you have a lease.

(c) Financial damages form the Landlord's Rental Agreement Breach

Did you have to move when you didn't want to because of problems with your rental property your landlord didn't fix? Take your landlord to the RTDRS and "sue" them for all the money you had to spend to move. If the landlord doesn't pay you then garnish their wages or put a lien on the rental property.

d) Reduction of rent for loss of benefit of a rental agreement

If you think the landlord broke the lease in any way, take them to the RTDRS and you can get a decrease in rent.

(e) Compensation for performing the landlord's obligations as outlined in the rental agreement

If the landlord didn't follow the lease as you see it, you can make them pay you money.

Where Can Tenants Get More Information About These Services?

Detailed information and downloadable tip sheets about using the service at their website at www.servicealberta.ca.

There Is No Need To Argue With Your Landlord Directly. Avoid Intimidation and Harassment Taking Any Issues Directly to the RTDRS

Being a tenant can make you feel lonely and scared. Landlords can come right to your door and they even enter. By putting them in an "official court" they have to behave and follow the rules.

It was amazing to how my super aggressive landlady turned into a soft-spoken and careful person when I took her to court.

The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service is Fair and Protects Your Rights!

Some of you might be thinking it's complicated and time consuming. But it's not that bad at all. And remember you are fighting for your home and your rights as a Tenant under the Alberta Residential Tenancies Act.

Alberta Tenants have rights must you must stand up and demand them!

Who Can You Contact For More Information?

If you have further questions, please contact the RTDRS at:

Edmonton: (780) 644-3000

For toll-free access within Alberta, first dial 310-0000

Alberta Tenants Wake Up: The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service is Fair And You Will Win!

Under the fair NDP government Tenants Have Rights In Alberta! Just the media won't tell you that!

If you have any issues with your landlord take them to landlord and tenant court and defend your rights!

Peace Out

http://albertalandlords.ca/2017/12/02/t ... -will-win/